Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Gearing Up For A New Season

In two weeks the season opens officially. April 1st, aka April Fools day. I have been that fool on some opening days, fishing in snow, sleet, cold rain. You name it, I have fished in it on opening day. These past few years have resisted the temptation to go too early. Now, I look a April 15, and maybe even more important, April 25 and 26. Our first trip to the camp, pre Mayfly to check the accomodations, and the development of the years big hatch.

In the meantime, I load my reel with new line, and a second reel with more new line. I am cleaning rods and packing them into to their tubes. A month away from wetting a line and I just keep getting things ready to keep me occupied. My wife, I am sure, thinks I have lost a few more marbles each year. Every year it gets a bit earlier. I talk about it a bit more. I am sure it makes here wonder if she married a sane person or someone spiralling into some sort of madness. I do know for sure, in a few weeks, she will be tired of hearing about fishing. I guess I can't blame her.

Anyway, I am looking for pictures of peoples gear. New rods, new reels, all that good stuff. The picture above is my Innovator Velocity Fly Rod. It is an 8'6" 5 weight and it is the best rod I have ever fished up until this point. I will soon have a few Broman Odell Alpha Series which are very high end rods that are supposed to be amazing. I will let you know soon. If you have anything you would like to submit for a new gear article, email me a photo and some details and I will make a series of posts on new equipment.

Until the season opens, I hope you all are patient. I am trying to be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,

I just wanted to send a quick note letting you know that I have just discovered your blog and enjoy it greatly. I recently moved to NS and was looking for info on hatches etc and your site is a wealth of info. I'm usually a river fisherman but I think I might have to change my mind.

Tightlines - Jim Little

David Phillips said...

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comment. Welcome to the province. There is good fishing to be had with some looking around. If you have any questions or anything, email them to me at reactionoutdoors@gmail.com. Hope you keep coming back to the blog.


David

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dave. l'll be sending you an e-mail shortly. I've yet to catch a bluenose trout and my patience is beginning to wear thin. ;) Cheers - Jim